Down Time

by Maddy on February 4, 2011

in Family,Mad Hearts,Photography

Because it’s been snowing on a weekly basis, I haven’t had the opportunity to do a photo shoot outdoors in a very long time. I really, really miss it! There’s nothing like getting to photograph clients out in the open and capturing those impromptu moments that make photography such a joy for me! But I haven’t let the fact that “business is slow” get me down.  In January, I practiced my indoor flash photography with my niece Isabella for her 1st birthday pictures.  We arranged our little “studio” on my sister-in-law’s kitchen table, using a white table cloth as our backdrop. I also used my reflector, along with my flash to diffuse and bounce the flash light more naturally. And since I didn’t have all the proper equipment to get it perfect SOOC (straight of the camera), I relied on Photoshop to help me get that pristine white studio backdrop and correct some of the lighting issues I had. Even though natural light photography will always be my preference, I still enjoy using the down time to experiment with new techniques and ideas. I’ve also used the time to FINALLY create a Facebook fan page for Mad Hearts Photography!  So if you can spare a moment, I would really appreciate it if you hopped on over and “like” it just this once!

Lee Oliveira February 4, 2011 at 4:59 am

Great shot Maddy.. love the composition
Ps.. the baby is beyond gorgeous
Lee x
Lee Oliveira recently posted..On the streets of Sydney…Oxford St

Buckeroomama February 4, 2011 at 6:20 am

She has the most gorgeous eyes, Maddy! And I love those little studs she has on. I was being indecisive about getting Zès ears pierced when she was a baby… well, now I guess she’ll have to make the decision herself when she gets older. I always love little studs on little girls. :)
Buckeroomama recently posted..Treasure or Junk

Life with Kaishon February 4, 2011 at 7:00 am

I love Isabella. She is just as beautiful as can be! : )
I feel like I get so busy shooting birthday parties and stuff in the winter! You know what I love? Even though I know the pictures I shoot in homes with iffy lighting are horrific, the people I shoot for are always so excited and in love with their pictures. That makes me happy : )

You are a rock star. Going to be a fan right this instant. Happy Friday Maddylicious!
Life with Kaishon recently posted..‘For last years words belong to last years language And next years words await another voice And to make an end is to make a beginning’ TS Eliot

Lisa February 4, 2011 at 7:05 am

BEAUTIFUL!! Love the birthday shots!!! She is SUCH A CUTIE! Happy 1st Birthday Isabella!

Amy February 4, 2011 at 7:47 am

I am always amazed with befores and afters (except maybe for my own … :) And Little Miss is so cute I can’t even STAND it! However did you get anything done other than kissing those sweet cheeks?!

Cafe Fashionista February 4, 2011 at 8:36 am

It’s amazing the difference that can be made simply by changing the lighting. I absolutely adore these pictures – she is adorable! :)
Cafe Fashionista recently posted..Tightwad Tuesday- Herve Leger Double Strap Bandage Dress for Less

The Guilty Hyena February 4, 2011 at 8:39 am

Aw such gorgeous cheeks :) It’s a pain in the neck not having a natural light-box or white backdrop, my last port of call is always photo-shop.
The Guilty Hyena recently posted..Viscid Trunk of Eye Candy

Dita February 4, 2011 at 9:10 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dita recently posted..Smile

very married February 4, 2011 at 9:39 am

ADORABLE. What a doll!

I’m sure biz will pick up in the Spring!
very married recently posted..Happy Groundhogs Day!

likeitsgolden February 4, 2011 at 10:25 am

oh this little girl looks so sweet and adorable (bet she didnt slap or headbutt you once lol)
likeitsgolden recently posted..Guess What

Sarah - Dodeline Design February 4, 2011 at 10:50 am

Oh my I need to hire you to Photoshop for me lol! The photos look amazing and the baby is adorable :-)
Sarah – Dodeline Design recently posted..reverb10 revisited

Lisa February 4, 2011 at 10:57 am

Awwwwww she is SOOOOOO sweet!!! :) I like what you’ve done with the photos. It is interesting to see the before and afters, it kind of tells a story of how great photos are created.
Lisa recently posted..Jar of Hearts

Latoya February 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

OMG! She is too cute! I love her headband and tutu! I also love the edits.

Can you provide some photo tips for us novices (DSLR and point and shoot)? One of my goals for 2011 is to take better blog pictures.
Latoya recently posted..30 for 30 Remix

Keeley February 4, 2011 at 11:11 am

This little cutie is adorable! Great shots!
Keeley recently posted..Pepperoni Bread

pop champagne February 4, 2011 at 11:21 am

love these pics! do I have you on fb? I would love to like it but work blocks facebook and I’m hardly on my computer after work. I can only do it on my blackberry. add me julie_lan (at) hotmail (dot) com on fb and I will “like” everything of yours! :D
pop champagne recently posted..Lookbook- Guilty Pleasure &amp Giveaway from Demu Label

leia February 4, 2011 at 11:41 am

Your niece is gorgeous! And your photography skills have wowed me yet again. I think you did a great job with the editing. And of course I’ll ‘like’ you!
leia recently posted..My Make-Up Collection

Christina Lee February 4, 2011 at 11:58 am

Oh Isabella, you are precious!
Christina Lee recently posted..Freeze Frame Friday- Bliss

Sandy a la Mode February 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm

OMG!!!! how adorable!! great shots maddy!!!

Piper February 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm

OMG, what a cutie pie! those eyes! you get such amazing shots of little ones. love that you showed the before and after – that helps me to see! (btw…you’re pretty darn good with photoshop :)

Sabine February 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm

So true, it’s been dark and grey for too long, I really miss some good photography light, too. You’ve done a great job with editing your adorable niece. I don’t think I’ve ever used a picture SOOC (or is it SOTC?) – photoshop all the way!
Sabine recently posted..Shocking…

Camila F. February 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I have to say I love the pictures even before the transformation. You’re so good Maddy!
Camila F. recently posted..Inspiração- crochê

Audrey Allure February 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I liked your Facebook page :) And beautiful photos, so adorable!
Audrey Allure recently posted..Vidal Sassoon The Movie

katrina February 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm

hi maddy, i’m amazed how you cleaned up the gray background perfectly. was that done with an extraction or masking? i hope you don’t mind me asking and if it’s too intrusive — just ignore it.. ;)

beautiful work!!
katrina recently posted..How to Spot One of Those Darn Bloggers

Nadette February 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Isabella is oh so precious! Your talent never ceases to amaze me :)
Nadette recently posted..The Hell!

Kristin February 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Can you edit my photos? HAHA! So cute!
Kristin recently posted..A Fierce Fashionista and a Darling Giveway

Lee Oliveira February 5, 2011 at 2:46 am

Maddy, we will be having drinks on Wed night (9th) at Acer Hotel 8pm
Will be me, V from GritandGlamour and a few other bloggers.
Come along if you can
Lee x
Lee Oliveira recently posted..On the streets of Sydney…Oxford St

Salma February 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I love those eyes, I love love those big brown eyes. Gorgeous Maddy.
Salma recently posted..This Past Week

lou February 6, 2011 at 6:22 am

what a cutie!! and you did a wonderful job here. love the crisp white background!
lou recently posted..Forever and Ever – The perfect wedding ♥ Part 2

Marlene February 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Stunning work…even with just the befores. You all have been cooped up WAY too long. Hope this snow stuff ends soon.
Marlene recently posted..Maybe The Groundhog Wasnt Lying

Coffee Break Mama February 6, 2011 at 7:29 pm

She’s beautiful and your edits are fantastic!

Mindy February 7, 2011 at 9:11 am

great job, maddy! I love these & think you got it spot on!

daisymay February 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm