Project Me Guest Post: Marlene from “In The Heart of Happy”

by Maddy on February 2, 2011

in Project Me

I’m so excited to present to you the very first Project Me guest post in the series! Our special guest today is Marlene – the Home Girl with the heart of gold! Read why she’s decided to commit to “Project Me” this year…and always!

When Maddy  mentioned she wanted to start a Blog Hop about the subject of me time, I quickly raised my hand to join in. I was so excited to write about this subject, a trend that is sweeping the world where people are starting recognize a serious need in their lives.  A need for “Me”.   Let me start by giving you a little bit of my own story.

I began parenting at the beginning of the “over scheduled and too many  activities era”. It was a time crammed full of busy social calendars, soccer games, cheer leading practices, PTA, church activities, scouting, and such. There was a constant barrage of things on my “to do” list, but one  thing that never appeared on that list was me. It’s solitary exclusion led to a high priced loss. I lost who “me” was.

My world came to a crashing halt in 1999 after a horrible experience ripped my family apart. The effects from this can be felt today with the same stinging intensity I was left with that day.  I have thought through this many times, replayed it over and over to try and see where it  all went so wrong, and the one thing that remains constant is… I had no clue who I was at that time. Surely, if I had of known, things would have gone so differently.

My properly scheduled children woke up one morning without their mother. I did not know how to put one foot in front of  the other. How did I get like that? What had happened to the independent woman who never took no for an answer? The one who knew the right road from the wrong and had a great navigational frame of mind? I had become an empty well.

Each of us are like a well. We each have varying amounts of water in our wells and different numbers of water takers that visit on a daily basis. Some take small amounts of our water reserve and others…well, they take buckets and buckets. At the end of the day, there are times when that well is dry!!  If we love the people in our lives who take from our well, doesn’t it make senses that we should replenish it often so there is something substantial for them to receive???

“Me Time” provides new reserves to replenish our well.  Force yourself into the habit of me time and becoming a Project Me. It honestly saved me and changed who I am today. When I fed my well with good water, I became a person of worth. I became full. I became a better me.

This is Home Girl and I wish you full wells!

*Photos were taken during “me time” this past weekend, while staying at the shore on The Chesapeake Bay, Virginia.

Life with Kaishon February 2, 2011 at 2:21 am

So glad you were able to bounce back from that tragedy Marlene. Your pictures and your words are just beautiful.
Life with Kaishon recently posted..‘For last years words belong to last years language And next years words await another voice And to make an end is to make a beginning’ TS Eliot

Buckeroomama February 2, 2011 at 5:05 am

Beautiful photos, but even more so, beautiful words/post!

“If we love the people in our lives who take from our well, doesn’t it make senses that we should replenish it often so there is something substantial for them to receive?” –SO true.
Buckeroomama recently posted..Scavenger Hunt Sunday Texture

Sarah - Dodeline Design February 2, 2011 at 7:13 am

This is an excellent post and such a great thought. I love the concept of the well – so very insightful. I certainly need to take more time for me – I do sometimes think, “remember when I used to just read my book in the afternoon?” That would seem like such a luxury now!
Sarah – Dodeline Design recently posted..Lovely and Local- Old Mount Pleasant- SC

Amy February 2, 2011 at 7:36 am

Such gorgeous photos … and a good reminder. Thank you!

Camila F. February 2, 2011 at 8:07 am

Beautiful post! Made me think about my life choices and remember I need more “me-time”!
Camila F. recently posted..Chloé girls

mindy February 2, 2011 at 8:22 am

This made me cry. I am so glad your well has such fresh sweet water now. Love the photos. They go perfect with your words.

Cafe Fashionista February 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

Maddy, I absolutely ADORE you for creating this new series – it is fantastical! This post is so inspirational; and that last photograph, of the dandelions, is just exquisite. LOVE!! :)
Cafe Fashionista recently posted..Tightwad Tuesday- Herve Leger Double Strap Bandage Dress for Less

April February 2, 2011 at 9:24 am

Wow, Marlene…this touched me so deeply. You have such a poetic way with words, and your beautiful pictures are just icing on the cake. BRAVO!
April recently posted..Happy 19th Birthday- My Beautiful Daughter

Mindy February 2, 2011 at 9:47 am

your images are so soft and peaceful. I think we all tend to underestimate the importance of ‘me’ time as a vital part of not only our own life, but the lives we effect on a daily basis. beautiful post!!

Salma February 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

This is a beautiful post, I appreciate the beauty of struggle and overcoming obstacles. The photos are very nice, Virginia looks amazing at this time of year.
Kudos Marlene and Maddy.
Salma recently posted..My Favorite Colour

The Guilty Hyena February 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm

The well analogy is poignantly put! I’m glad to hear you were able to recover from it. :) I think there’s also some who are energy suckers and energy givers, and for some reason I do attract the energy suckers, which doesn’t help the reserves of the well.
The Guilty Hyena recently posted..Chan Jung Kim Shoe Collection 2011

Ashley Hasty February 2, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’m new to your blog, this is the first time I’ve stumbled across it! So happy to be here. I love the idea of “me” time. I often forget about that between work and school and family time there isn’t much time left for me. But it is so important! Thanks for this blog post and the reminder.

It was a pleasure to *meet* you!

<3 Ashley
ashley dot hasty at gmail dot com

Nadette February 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I think the critical mistake so many of us make is underestimating the need for me time. I generally face a crisis of me time, since I only have myself to care for, but I have to come to realize that part of “me” time includes spending time with the friends and family that a critical part of my life. I always feel like a new person after I’ve spent some overdue time with them. I’m still working on the other part of me time, but I’ll take heed to your story, and besure to nurture it as much as possible
Nadette recently posted..Meatless Monday- Apple- Cheddar- and Arugula Sandwich

Angelia Sims Hardy February 2, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Marlene,

What beautiful words, photos, and valuable life sentiments. Your story is powerful and poignant. If really makes me appreciate taking me time to replenish.
Angelia Sims Hardy recently posted..Snice Day

Haute World February 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm

A very inspiring post. I think most people forget the ‘me’, because they focus too much on others (which isn’t always bad) and also rely on others to be happy or ‘just live’. I definitely know the feeling of not really knowing who I was at one point and identifying myself the way others perceived me.
Haute World recently posted..American Retro Paris- France

Christina Lee February 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Wow, what a moving story! Your well analogy is so spot on-thank you! The best to you!
Christina Lee recently posted..Comfort Food- Cheesy Potatoes

Elle Sees February 3, 2011 at 8:50 pm

This is so encouraging!! I love it.
Elle Sees recently posted..Elle Entertains- Super Bowl Party