Project Me: Saving Face

by Maddy on February 9, 2011

in Beauty,Project Me

During my teens, I had to vigorously battle the war against  acne. But as I reached my 20′s and the blemishes from those years vanished, I started skimping on my nightly ritual. (…I seem to have a bad habit of cruising when the going gets good!) So one of my resolutions for the new year was to be more regimented with skin care.  After all, I’ll be reaching my 30′s before you know it and keeping my skin in tiptop share will become even more important as I get older. So I decided to use a giftcard I received for my birthday (can you believe I still have gift cards from back then?!) and splurged on a deep cleansing facial at a local spa. The end result was skin as smooth as a baby’s bottom! Not sure if I can afford to get one on a regular basis, but I’m going to try my hardest to keep up with a daily routine at home.  And as luck would have it, I was the giveaway recipient of the Perricone MD skin care product courtesy of Cafe Fashionista!  Now I don’t have an excuse for going off track!

Do you have a regular skin care routine?

Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi February 9, 2011 at 4:06 am

I need to get better at taking care of my skin too. I just fall out of the routine sometimes. And then there are those nights I actually fall asleep with makeup on–eek! Cardinal sin, I know.

Kiley February 9, 2011 at 7:21 am

I kind of regret ignoring my grandmother 23 years ago when she warned the 18-year old me that Ivory soap might not be the best skin care solution for the long term. Now, at 41, I wish I had been kinder to my skin. Good for you for taking the right steps, and my advice is to STICK WITH IT!!!
Kiley recently posted..Those Boys in Orange

Amy February 9, 2011 at 7:41 am

Yes, yes I do. The funny thing is, after trying myriad expensive brands, I’m back to the thing the dermatologist suggested in the first place–Purpose. Fancy, it is not–but if you use a generous amount, it does the trick (at least for moi). I use it each night; then every other morning I use Bee Polished exfoliating scrub from Garden Botanika. Oh, and Bio oil for those pesky age spots … :)

Love the photo, by the way … I know I could say that for every post … but still … love it.

Dita February 9, 2011 at 7:47 am

YOU, acne? I don’t believe it for one minute. Not that perfect, glowing skin of yours!
I can say, in my teens I did too…….pretty darned bad, too!

Skin care routine…….uh, yeah…..I make sure to get water on my face and slather on some Dove when I’m in the shower. Every now and then I’ll even put a washcloth to my face with some warm water after I brush my teeth on my way to bed. Complicate, I know.

xoxoxo
Dita
Dita recently posted..Smile

likeitsgolden February 9, 2011 at 8:25 am

I recently changed one of my products due to my age. After going to a Mary K party and listening to the women I decided that it was time to give up my teen acne facial wash and get something for the skin i have now. I have REALLY dry skin so I only wash my face once a day and have read that its not necessary to wash your face twice (some people believe that all you need is water). I use ponds cold cream now as a facial cleanser, aveeno bright scrub twice a week, ponds for my face lotion during the winter, and aveeno face lotion during the summer. I take pretty good care of my skin because its so dry that if I did not, I would look like ashy larry
likeitsgolden recently posted..Girls you know you betta watch out

elle sees February 9, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’ve done the oil method but right now just cleanser & moisturizer
elle sees recently posted..LOVE WEEK- Sweets For the Sweet

Keeley February 9, 2011 at 8:51 am

I still havn’t battled any acne issues (but never say never). I use all drug store brands. I scrub with St. Ive’s Apricot Scrub (or a generic) in the shower, then I use Neutrogena toner, then I use Oil of Olay for Sensitive Skin SPF 15 moisturizer. I don’t wear foundation (I haven’t had it on my face since my wedding, 6 years ago) and I just wear eye makeup and lipstick. I’m not thrilled with some of the darker circles under my eyes (more visible some days than others), but my basic routine keeps my skin clear and moisturized. I’ve heard you shouldn’t exfoliate every day, but it works for me.
Keeley recently posted..White Bean Dip with Rosemary

Sarah - Dodeline Design February 9, 2011 at 8:57 am

I’ve never had a facial, but it sounds lovely, I should try one one of these days! I’m not so good about being regimented with my skin care at all. Totally relate.

It is nice to be out of those horrendous teenage years though, isn’t it?
Sarah – Dodeline Design recently posted..I have an aunt who’s married but she’s living…

Cafe Fashionista February 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

Ah, thank you, thank you for the shoutout, Maddy – you’re the sweetest!

I find that I have been using the same Neutrogena products for years and years – they work so well! Aside from those, however, I stick to regular handsoap and water when it comes to taking care of my skin!! :)

Buckeroomama February 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

Wash. Tone. Moisturize. That’s pretty much it. In all my 40 (yikes!) years, I’ve done a total of less than 5 facials. My mom and grandma both have great skin… and they’ve never had a facial in their life. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I got their genes. :)

(BTW, I’ve stopped getting emails of your posts. I wonder why…? I haven’t unsubscribed or anything.)
Buckeroomama recently posted..Playing Catch-Up The Joy of Love Days 1–6

Marlene February 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

I am getting alovely facial tonight as well as wine, cut, color, and style…

and well, maybe chocolate will be involved, too.

It will be…I can not lie to you.

Congrats on winning. You are soooo deserving.
Marlene recently posted..Crazy Busy Week

Ashley Sisk February 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

I think taking care of ourselves should be a top priority…I hear all the time of mothers that don’t take care of themselves because they are so focused on their kids (granted, you and I aren’t moms yet, but follow me here)….My husband tells me that I won’t be like his mom because I’m too selfish. I kinda took offense but at the same time, I don’t want to stop taking care of me. I don’t want to stop going to the salon every so often to refresh or stop taking 5 minutes out of my day to wash off and renew ya know. So yeah girl…take advantage of it! :)

leia February 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I didn’t start wearing make-up until recently, and before that always had great skin – all I did was moisturize day and night. But, when I started wearing make-up I used to remove it with wet wipes, which obviously doesn’t get it all off, so I started breaking out! For a few months I’ve been using a cleanser every night and my skin has really thanked me for it. So I totally agree that a good skin care routine is essential!
leia recently posted..Jewelry Box

Life with Kaishon February 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Oh my.
Lucky if I remember to rinse it when I am in the shower.
I am so old and wrinkly : (
Life with Kaishon recently posted..‘What is a home without children Quiet’ Henny Youngman

The Guilty Hyena February 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I don’t do enough, though I’m a great believer in natural products or homemade products, without the gimmicky chemical laden products. I try to use olive oil from time to time.
The Guilty Hyena recently posted..Alphabet eyelashes

Sandy a la Mode February 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm

awwww i also need to do a better job about taking care of my skin!! i have pimples all over that i cover up every day.. i just want them to go away, boo!!!! let me know how that perricone works!?

Nadette February 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Ooh, a facial at a spa sounds awesome. I have a bad habit of letting my skin care products run out, and then waiting before buying more. It makes no sense, and I’m actually having the opposite problem, where I have more skin issues now than I did as a teen. I should totally look into getting a facial one day :)
Nadette recently posted..Soap Box Wednesday- The Meatless Monday Movement

Wanda (At Last...) February 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I started way back making it a routine and now it’s a solid habit. I however, am not nearly as dedicated with my floors. Ya gotta make your priorities.
;-)
Wanda (At Last…) recently posted..Black and White Wednesday – Ta Da !!

Sabine February 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Perricone… wuhaa! Great stuff. I’m a big believer in anti-ageing creams (even most studies say they don’t do anything) and normally stick to Clinique – it just seems to suit my skin and I like that it doesn’t smell.
Sabine recently posted..Her Dark Materials

Anaiz February 9, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I have had problematic skin since middle school, so having a regular skin routine is a must! I’ve been getting facials for the past year and that has made a HUGE difference, my skin is doing much better now (finally) *sigh*
Anaiz recently posted..Seers of Light by Jennifer DeLucy

Paige February 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I swear by ProActive. I’ve never had acne but I did get the odd blemish here and there as a teenager and even now. If I use that stuff I never get any. I can tell you that the commercials are true. I should be more militant about it. I do moisterize, though.
Paige recently posted..girls and lipstick

Mindy February 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm

you win a lot of things, you lucky girl! I think your skin looks fabulous as is, but a little self-TLC is just as important (if not more) than the TLC you give to others!