The Biggest Night in Hollywood

by Maddy on February 25, 2011

in Movies

Who’s watching the Oscars this weekend?! I am and I’m so excited! But I don’t really watch for the fashion, even though it’s nice to see what everyone is wearing. I watch for the movies.  I won’t say I’m a movie snob….but I kinda am! Oscar movie season is my favorite time of year to go to the theatre. There’s rarely a time we’ll go see a “regular” movie anymore – there aren’t many good ones these days.  So we try to catch most of the small indie and foreign films at our local arthouse theatre.  And this year I have seen all ten Best Picture nominees. And if I can say so myself, this year was a great one for movies! I think I’ll be pleased if any of the nominees win, well, except for Winter’s Bone… I just couldn’t get into that one. So tell me…

Did you see any of the Oscar nominated film this year?  Who are you rooting for?

*Thanks to Pugly Pixel for the photo template!

Nora February 25, 2011 at 12:31 am

I *love* the Oscars. I watch every year! I don’t really care too much about the fashion either I just love to see the work and energy in the auditorium.

I’m a big fan of King’s Speech; Toy Story 3 was great too, but I doubt it will win for Best Picture. I’m just excited to relax with some friends and watch the big event :)
Nora recently posted..Ten on Tuesday- My Questions!

leia February 25, 2011 at 4:51 am

Ooh I’m excited about the Oscars too! I’m rooting for The King’s Speech.
leia recently posted..White Roses

Buckeroomama February 25, 2011 at 5:44 am

I haven’t seen any of the Oscar nominated films. They’re not out yet here… Wait, let me rephrase: I don’t even know if they are out yet here. *sigh* I don’t get to watch movies much anymore. I guess I might have to wait until the DVDs come out. I’d love to watch The King’s Speech and Blue Valentine and Black Swan. :)
Buckeroomama recently posted..Her First Bun

Sarah - Dodeline Design February 25, 2011 at 7:34 am

I saw a few of them, and it’s hard to pick this year! Black Swan was crazy, True Grit was great {love Westerns}, and I really enjoyed the Social Network. I have to say my favorite was the King’s Speech though. I just thought it was a really well done film with great acting and a fantastic story! Happy weekend :-)
Sarah – Dodeline Design recently posted..Top 5 Reasons to Blog

Amy February 25, 2011 at 7:38 am

Yes, I just might. I took a multi- year hiatus because 1) it stresses me out when these poor people are trying to give their acceptance speech and the music is going on; 2) It annoyed me the movies they chose. :) But I watched last year and really enjoyed it. So …

Oh, and as for the movie I’m rooting for … The King’s Speech.

Life with Kaishon February 25, 2011 at 7:42 am

I don’t even know what is up for nominations. I will have to check. I like the dresses. I always forget to watch though. Anne Hathaway is one of my favorite actresses and she is hosting so I am going to really try to watch this year.
Life with Kaishon recently posted..a cell phone camera picture contest! say what

likeitsgolden February 25, 2011 at 8:33 am

O is like you, he makes sure he watches all of the nominated films before the big day. I have seen black swan, inceptions, the kids are alright, 127 hours the kings speech, and part of the boxer. I love movies, not a snob, Ill take an independent artsy action scary whatever. Sometimes I think people overrate these small films (i thought blue valentine was just ok)
Im not that into the oscars honestly. I watch it sometimes. I do like to see what people wear and the major awards of the night (like best/supporting actor/actress/ picture). Its all just a bit too vanilla for me
likeitsgolden recently posted..Until it happens

Stephanie February 25, 2011 at 9:15 am

I love the Oscars for both fashion and movies. I’m rooting for Black Swan and Natalie Portman. Brilliance!

Eternally yours,
Stephanie
Stephanie recently posted..Notes From A Fashion Studentessa- Ferragamo Museum

Cafe Fashionista February 25, 2011 at 9:27 am

Believe it or not, I have never before seen the Oscars. I’m just not a fan of awards shows; besides, I usually haven’t seen the films that are nominated, so it never seems like any fun to watch. :/
Cafe Fashionista recently posted..Thrifty Thursday- J Crew Maritime-Stripe Blazer on a Budget

Haute World February 25, 2011 at 9:33 am

I’m not really into award shows, so I’ll probably only watch the round-up. I do like most of the ‘best movie’ nominees this year though – my favorites would have to be Black Swan, King’s Speech and I really want Inception to win something that isn’t in the tech category. I’d also like to finally see Christian Bale take home an Oscar. And I’m least rooting for The Social Network (though I love Fincher’s work), simply because the movie’s been so overhyped.
Haute World recently posted..Eat the Designers with AnOther Magazine &amp Selfridges London- UK

very married February 25, 2011 at 9:46 am

wow! good for you! I’ve only seen four.

I think a lot of the reason that I watch is for the fashion. And it’s like, a little fantasy – makes me want to be in old hollywood.
very married recently posted..Umm awkward- An interview recap

Couture Carrie February 25, 2011 at 11:25 am

So psyched for the Oscars!
Hope The Social Network wins!

alexandra keller February 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

we usually have cartoons on at our house, so anything i want to watch i have to record.
and the only grown up movie i’ve seen in a while is Black Swan – fantastic!!!!
alexandra keller recently posted..for this im thankful – my husband

Camila F. February 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I love to watch the Oscars! I’m dying to play Oscar-Bingo 2011 edition: http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2011/02/oscar-bingo-2011-edition.html

Wanda (At Last...) February 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I haven’t seen all the best pictures this year. Black Swan was kind of amazing though I wish I could get some of those images out of my head. I’ll certainly be watching this Sunday. Have never missed one. (Guilty pleasure – I like the dresses too.)

Enjoy your week-end!
Wanda (At Last…) recently posted..Black and White Wednesday – Whered my baby go

Rachel February 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’ll definitely be watching, although I think I’m a little more interested in the fashion than anything. Lol. But it’ll be nice to see who wins!

Hope you have a great weekend, Maddy!
Rachel recently posted..Friday Favorites

Sabine February 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

You’ve seen them all, Maddy?? I’m so impressed. (I’ve only seen Black Swan and Inception) I would love to watch the Oscars, got to check if there are shown on a non-pay tv channel.
Sabine recently posted..LFW – Get-a-Hat

Christina Lee February 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm

*Raises hand* I begin at 6 pm on the E channel! Have a good one!
Christina Lee recently posted..Freeze Frame Friday- Natures Diamonds

Kristin February 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’m impressed! I’ve only seen one of the flicks!
Kristin recently posted..Freshly Picked Rosebud of the Week- Leaving the House in THIS!

Graziella February 26, 2011 at 12:09 am

Hi Maddy! I haven’t seen half of the nominated films but among the ones I saw I would say my favorite is True Grit :). I was also very impressed with Hailee Steinfeld’s acting and I’m rooting for her to win for Best Supporting Actress. I love movies but honestly, I mainly watch the Oscars for the fashion lol.
Graziella recently posted..Delight is…

Piper February 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

I tend to get bored 1/2 way through watching award shows so we’ll see how long I last! The Oscars are usually different though – probably since I’m a big fan of movies and this year I’ve seen alot of the best pic nominees…makes it more fun to watch!!

savvy gal February 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

Ah…. will miss it this year.
savvy gal recently posted..Going Gaga for Red

Michaela February 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Eek I love the Oscars but wow I didn’t get to see any of them yet! In my defense I haven’t been to a movie in ages as we just wait until they come out on DVD but I do want to see The Social Network, Black Swan, True Grit and The Fighter. I will also admit that I mostly watch for the fashion! LOL!
Michaela recently posted..and the weight loss begins AGAIN!

Paige February 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I have to admit that even though I love movies, I don’t watch very many. Not sure why. Too busy, maybe? I’m sure I won’t be watching the Oscars. The Bear flies in tonight and I’ll be with him!
Paige recently posted..t is for thanksgiving index

Audrey Allure February 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I’m excited for the Oscars! I’m curious to see how James Franco & Anne Hathaway do as the hosts :) I haven’t seen many of the movies yet, but I did liked the Social Network and I heard the King’s Speech was amazing. As for the independent one, I really liked Exit Through The Gift Shop – which I recently posted about :)
Audrey Allure recently posted..Exit Through The Gift Shop – Banksy

Camille February 26, 2011 at 7:52 pm

i’m kinda a movie snob as well! ;p
love the oscars!
Camille recently posted..Eu assistia The Hills só pelas tranças da Lauren

Lee Oliveira February 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

Me.. 9.40am Sydney time, i will be glued to my TV
lee x
Lee Oliveira recently posted..Outside Michael Kors… New York Fashion Week

Pinkie Anggia February 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Drool over The Oscars!
hope that social network wins <3

♥ sugarpuff ♥
Pinkie Anggia ☺
Pinkie Anggia recently posted..Thanks for following -&ltbr -&gt
and youre very pretty!

Nadette March 1, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’m ashamed to admit it, but I totally watch the Oscars for the fashion. I only saw Black Swan, which I loved, but I have to say I want to see most of the nominated films. ‘Tis a shame that the show was long and akward, and the fashion wasn’t all that awesome either. Oh well..
Nadette recently posted..Afternoon Crumbs

The Guilty Hyena March 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Yess I remember Anne Hathaway’s blue Armani gown, definitely goes with futuristic alien glam theme.

I was doing a good job of fitting all the movies in to watch before the Oscars, but still fell short having been away. Still to watch Biutiful with Javier Bardem , Blue Valentine, Dogtooth and Winters Bone, but I might as well pace myself for now. I was made up for Christian Bale, been rooting for him all year. The Kings Speech was an overkill here in the U.K, but still deserved the accolades.
The Guilty Hyena recently posted..Jeremy Scott ∣ Linda Farrow