The Mamajuana Cafe

by Maddy on April 7, 2011

in Birthday,Dining,Family,NYC

March reminded me of November with a crazy list of family birthdays and celebrations. Aside from Bryan and Tyler’s birthdays, my brother-in-law Ralph also turned the BIG 4-0 at the end of March! We celebrated with an almost-surprise brunch in the city with the entire family.  Almost surprise because Ralph spotted our cars when looking for parking near the restaurant…don’t you hate when that happens! The Mamajuana Cafe is nestled in the heart of Washington Heights in NYC and the food (a mostly Dominican cuisine) was absolutely delicious and reminded me of the gorgeous food spreads at the all-inclusive resort we visited last year. After a late night of partying, we couldn’t wait to chow down on good food and shower the birthday boy with lots of love and gifts. If the restaurant were located a little closer to home, I’d definitely visit again for their Sunday all-you-can-eat brunch special. But since it’s a 30 minute drive and $8 toll away, we’ll have to reserve it for special occasions only.

Life with Kaishon April 7, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love your fun family adventures. How positively adorable is your family. I want to hug everyone of them. Every. Single. One : )
Life with Kaishon recently posted..a million dollar question

Liz April 7, 2011 at 1:30 am

I’m so jealous of cities that have great international food! I need to explore the Portland/Seattle cuisine more!
Liz recently posted..my barefoot day

Buckeroomama April 7, 2011 at 7:06 am

I love how your family comes together to celebrate milestones … or just to celebrate. =)
Buckeroomama recently posted..Are RSVP’s Passé

Sarah - Dodeline Design April 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

That’s wonderful! And I love the name of the cafe, how fun :-)
Sarah – Dodeline Design recently posted..Email Marketing- Thoughts

very married April 7, 2011 at 8:59 am

ha! darn – i totally wouldn’t have thought about the whole car thing. I’ll def have to think about that the next time I’m planning a surprise. :)
very married recently posted..Quick Thoughts about Happy Meals

Cafe Fashionista April 7, 2011 at 9:24 am

Haha! The almost-surprise thing is hilarious – sometimes the best laid plans just don’t cut it! Ooh, all-you-can-eat brunch sounds incredible!

BTW…JWOWW’s book is a blast. There are sections on fashion, relationships, fitness, beauty, dating, friends, and even a few recipes. It’s a quick read, and definitely shows her personality! :)
Cafe Fashionista recently posted..Thrifty Thursday- Juicy Couture Dominica Wedge Sandal for Less

JWS3 April 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Doesnt it get boring to always eat dominican food?
JWS3 recently posted..TriJWS3- gonna be real busy today until the Phils play at 3 then im gonna be working as i watch the game

Maddy April 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

That’s the thing…we hardly ever eat Dominican food. Except for the rare occasion we visit the city, which is probably why you think we eat it all the time.

Amy April 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

Looks like a fabulous time … except maybe for the $8 toll! Yikes!!!

Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi April 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

I think it’s hard to surprise people with parties for “big” birthdays because they’re expecting something. My BIL also turned 40 this year and my SIL managed to keep the big party a secret until the night of, but he was still kind of expecting something.
Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi recently posted..Interview with Designer Caterina Gatta

Haute World April 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Sounds like a great place! Looks like your brother-in-law got a very tasty chocolate cake as well! I don’t actually think I’ve ever had Dominican cuisine… definitely would love to try it out.
Haute World recently posted..Yohji Making Waves – Yohjis Women London- UK

lindsey April 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

the food looks amazing! how fun.

xo
lindsey recently posted..-poetry thursday giveaway-

Camila F. April 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Dominican cuisine = Yummy! Looks like a great place!
Camila F. recently posted..Two by Two

Kristin April 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

We went to the DR on our honeymoon! Wish I’d known about that restaurant when I was in DC!

Serline April 8, 2011 at 1:03 am

Looks like a fun family day… what’s the pink stuff in those pretty bottles?
Serline recently posted..Evening walk

Audrey Allure April 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Sounds like a great place! The food looks good :)

Christina Lee April 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Gosh I love looking at your photos!

HAve a fab weekend!
Christina Lee recently posted..Freeze Frame Friday- My Week in Pictures

Rachel April 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm

It looks like you all had a lot of fun! It sounds like such a great place!

Hope you have a nice weekend, Maddy.
Rachel recently posted..Friday Favorites

Elle Sees April 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I really haven’t had that much Dominican cuisine here…I need to up my game!
Elle Sees recently posted..Lovely Links

Nadette April 9, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I feel like I know your family, and I just can feel the love :) And I LOVE Sunday brunch, it always make the day feel special.
Nadette recently posted..Meatless Monday- Sun Dried Tomato Risotto Cakes

leia April 10, 2011 at 5:55 am

Yummm I want to go to that cafe!
leia recently posted..Sunday Musings- Sugar- Blog Tips

Graziella April 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I’m not sure if I’ve had Dominican food but I think I’ll love it. This is a fun and lovely photo collage you made!
Graziella recently posted..A few snaps here and there…

Mindy April 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm

i love reading about your family celebrations and escapades :)
although, I had to do a doubletake when I first saw the name of the blog post…

The Guilty Hyena April 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I also double-taked too when I read the title, a remember able cafe name! Plus warming photo’s – I too had a busy March when it comes to family celebrations and birthdays. I still have plenty of cake left and sweet goods, which I’ve not got sick of just yet. I’m kind of hoping now the coming next month will be a little quieter. :)
The Guilty Hyena recently posted..Eleven Objects Fall 2011

Sabine April 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Looks like you are jumping from one family party to the next, and this café looks lovely. I bet you all had a great time.
Sabine recently posted..Berlin Artistic Marathon

Anaiz April 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

That food looks good, I’ve never had Dominican food before! I’ll have to find a local joint just to try it out.
Anaiz recently posted..Of Witches and Warlocks Blog Tour

Elly April 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Ha! With him spotting your cars there isn’t much more you couldn’t have done, what a clever guy! Still, it looks absolutely brilliant, what a great place to celebrate a party!
Elly recently posted..Liz Rob visit London